Monday, December 4, 2017

BLOGMAS DAY 4: "The Star" Review

I've only ever been mesmerized in the movie theater three times. The first was when I watched La La Land, the second was when I watched the live action Beauty and the Beast, and the most recent time was when I watched "The Star" on Black Friday. 



This is a retelling of the most wonderful day in history: the birth of Jesus Christ. It has a twist though, it is from the perspective of animals. 

It is adorable, sweet, funny, and touching. While it is not life-like (because animals can't talk) it brings to life the story of Christ and reminds you how truly wonderful the story of Christmas is. 

Boaz (or Bo for short) is a mill donkey, dreaming of having a King ride on his back. He escapes and happens to end up in Mary and Joseph's yard. He journeys with them to Bethlehem with a few side adventures on the way, and even helps save Jesus from the man Herod sent to kill him. I won't spoil the ending, but I will say that it will make you cry. Even a donkey can be used by God for good! 

Although it is not realistic, the writers stayed very true to the original story. 

I loved this movie so much. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me thankful for my Savior. It also provoked a lot of thoughts in me about that time. Perhaps the animals around Jesus, the sheep, donkeys, chickens, horses, doves....perhaps they knew that Jesus was God and that there was something very special happening that night. Animals can sense anxiety, they can sense when a seizure is about to happen. Maybe they could sense that the giant, bright star in the sky that night meant that something miraculous was about to happen. 

All in all, it was a beautiful, sweet, and funny portrayal of The First Christmas. It is perfect for children, but adults can definitely enjoy it as well. 

I still want to see it a second time this season, and I am for SURE going to buy it when it comes out on DVD. 

If you have time and money to go watch it, I promise that you will not be disappointed! 



No comments:

Post a Comment