Thursday, June 19, 2014

the struggle is real

A conversation with a friend this morning:

Me: Why do we struggle so much with being in God's Word? It's so good, why do we act like it's school work we dread? We love other people, and it's easy to talk/listen to them. If we love God, it should be just as easy. Why do we struggle to read His encouraging, uplifting Word and talk to Him and give Him our burdens? We don't have to carry them around like we do...He says "Come, my yoke is easy, my burden is light...", why do we walk around with all the weight on our shoulders when we can walk lightly with Him? 

Emily: Do you know I was literally JUST thinking about this? I haven't read yet this morning or prayed...and yet I feel so stressed out...so why am I putting off talking to the God that will make me feel better? I was just thinking about that verse that says, "Cast all your burdens on Him because He cares for you..."

Me: Yeah! I mean, it just hit me as I did my Bible study...it makes me feel so full and peaceful and loved, all the good things I absolutely need every day of my life...yet I always act like someone will be ripping my nails out when I need to read.

Emily: THAT'S EXACTLY HOW I FEEL. Like I've been putting off reading all day...like it was my least favorite chore...but my heart wants to read and I don't want to take the time...Also I feel like Satan is trying to distract me because there's a few people I feel like God is wanting to use me in their life but if I'm out of God's word then I won't notice the opportunities or not have the right word to say. 



This conversation probably represents all young Christians' thoughts on being faithful. Satan is out to get us and throws millions of distractions to divert our path of growth. We, instead of looking forward to the quiet time with our Savior are filled with dread and unwillingness. Not because we necessarily dread it, but Satan tricks us into loving other things more than our devotions. He has fiery arrows of different lengths and temperatures he is shooting at us daily. We are constantly being torn down by the world and all that is in it. Everything is against us, even our nature. We struggle daily to fight the temptations, distractions, and lies. We have a real struggle folks.

But my dear reader,
Whether you struggle with the habit of reading your Bible daily and laying your burdens at the feet of Jesus, or you don't know that you can lay your burdens at His feet, please know this: Jesus loves you more than He loves anything. He gave His life for you. Jesus will forgive you every single time you ask Him to. He will never leave you. He knows what your struggles are, He knows how to help you. Please don't forget that, please don't ignore it. Come to Him and rest, cast your burdens on Him. Jesus wants you more than you could ever fathom and He is eagerly awaiting your arrival. Come to Him, all who are weary and weak, and He will give you rest. He will lift those heavy weights off your shoulders and throw them into the deepest of seas, give you a cold glass of water to drink and the most savory of breads, and tell you of His love for you. Tell you that He has been waiting an eternity for your arrival, that He has a magnificent plan for your existence, and that He will never, ever let go of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment