Thursday, August 13, 2015

Project Work-Out: Personal Records

I have my cup of coffee and my music, and I'm thinking about the gym. Just thinking about how much I've evolved and progressed in my training style and physically as well. My strength has increased a great deal and muscle definition is a lot better! It's such an awesome process to get where you want to be. It's challenging and at times tasteless. It is something that doesn't really end, there is always an improvement to be made somewhere!

Two weeks ago, I did something that 3 months ago I wouldn't have thought possible. I believed it was possible eventually, but somewhere in my mind there was always a doubt. Not me, I could never lift that! I'm not athletic, I'm not strong either. Of course other people can do it, but not me. Not Kaydee.

I did, though. I hit the PR that I doubted was possible

I had decided with my gym partner to do dead lifts that Friday. I was pretty much just aiming to hit my last PR for more reps. I warmed up with a low weight and just continued adding weight. I hit 175 (my last PR), and felt awesome, so I went for 185 and hit that too for as many reps as I could manage. At this point, I felt like nothing could stop me. I'm only 5'5" and roughly 125 pounds, but I felt like a freaking animal. I added another 10 pounds to the bar and went for 195. If I got this, I was going to be ecstatic.

The last time I maxed out was in March. I hit 165. A few months prior I was unable to pick up 155 after a lot of trying and mental prep talks. That was a disappointing but motivating day. I had failed, but I wasn't finished trying.


(Trying to get 155 in the spring)


Here it was, time to pick up 195 pounds of dead weight. The only music playing was a chill rock song escaping the gym speakers. My gym partner was holding my phone to capture this new record on film, and encouraging me from the side.

It was me and that weight. I wrapped my chalky fingers around the bar and tensed for the pick up. I pulled it up more easily than I expected. 1...2...3..4... I counted reps in my head, letting each one hit the mat and come back up. I dropped it after the 4th rep and stepped back. 

I did it. I hit 195. Not for one, not for two, but for 4 reps! INSANITY!

I thought I was done. I was okay with being done, I hit a new record and that was enough. 
"You're not going to go up in weight?" my gym bro asked.
"Should I?!"
"Why not? You're on a roll!"

What would I do without a gym partner to push me to the next level? 

We added a little baby 5 pound plate to each end of the bar. I asked Josh to record again since this would be a newer record, (if I even reach it, I still doubted myself). 

I rubbed a little more chalk on my hands and tightened the belt around my waist. 
Here we go. It's just me and the weight. I got this. I can do it. Just one rep, that's all I need. 

I gripped the bar and looked up. I bent my knees and began to pull. It came off the ground, so I couldn't give up now. I straightened my back and then dropped the weight back to the ground.  

I HIT 205 POUNDS. 

It was an amazing feeling to pick up that much weight. To know that my doubt had been wrong, to be that strong. I walked away from the gym that day knowing that anything is possible.


When you close the browser window after reading this, there are two things I want you to know. Whether it's in the gym or in some other aspect of your life, conquering fears or strongholds, whatever it may be, I want you to remember that anything is possible. Anything is possible through Christ, and that is true in any aspect of life--spiritually, mentally, and physically. The second thing I want you to remember is that it's all through the grace of God. Whatever you accomplish in life, it wouldn't have been possible without God's grace and love toward you.
      Yes, it was my body physically that picked up the weight. But it was God who created my body, my muscles. It was God who gave me the love for weight lifting, it was Him that gave me a healthy body, Him that kept me safe from injury. By His grace and love, I was able to make a new personal record.

Remember that whatever you do, it was done because of God's abundant grace and never ending love. Let us give Him the glory for the things He does through us. If it's making a new personal record in the gym, getting promoted at work, or leading a soul to Him, glorify and thank Him always!


Thanks for reading! Have a great day and even greater cup of coffee! 
(or whatever your favorite beverage happens to be)



No comments:

Post a Comment