Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Twenty-Three, June

I didn't know that when I went to Germany, I would love it there so much. But I sat in German class this year learning and missing, because I know somehow I'm supposed to go back. If someone said to me, "Kaydee, if you give up weight lifting, your home, your college education, I will send you to Germany to live." I would say yes in no time. I have a lot of dreams, some that I care less about and some that will come true. Moving to Germany is one of the 'come true' dreams.

I never shared much about my trip to Germany. Maybe because there was too much to it that couldn't be expressed by words. I only put pictures from the first week up on my Facebook. I can't say why I didn't put any more up, or why I didn't write more about it. Maybe because I wanted to make sure I could fully describe the wonderfulness of it all.

Castles and rolling hills, blanketed in fields of grass and covered in trees. Signs in a language I knew of but didn't speak, exhaustion and excitement fighting with each other. Shyness and bashful greetings to the people I had never met. Hugs to the people I'd been dying to see. The overwhelming feeling of a dream come true. That's what the first moments in Germany were like.

I was on the other side of the world, standing in Germany, something I had never dreamed possible. 




I tried to take in everything I possibly could. I tried to absorb it so it would stay in my memory. Memories fade, unfortunately. No matter how many times we look through pictures, or close our eyes to bring back the feeling that was there, memories fade.

Berlin, Munich, Stuttgart, Ulm. Each one captivating, unique, and beautiful . Whispering stories of past days, their old walls still rise around them, protecting from the dissipated threats of attack. Canals flowing through the city reflect the beautiful blooming trees. Beauty and sour history cover the towns. Repression and imprisonment still an unforgettable characteristic of an unforgettable time. However, joyful celebrations in victory against the world in a rousing game of Foosball echo throughout the country. Flags are hung on houses and horns are blown. Beautiful displays of fire are shot into the sky, proclaiming that Germany is indeed the 2014 World Cup Champion. Crowded and fast moving subways bring me to brilliant new destinations, (whilst occasionally getting lost in the largeness of Berlin). My mind is overwhelmed. My heart is full.





Adventuring is my favorite. Seeing things I've never seen before and being in places I've never been before,it makes me happy.

I remember reading every sign I saw, trying to learn German. I remember straining to decipher the complicated words. I also remember getting frustrated when the boys would purposely speak in German so that I wouldn't know what they said.

Oh, the rain! How I miss the rain so very much. The clouds, the cool air, the drizzle. People always think of rain in a negative connotation, but it is a safe haven. An excuse to grab a blanket and snooze by the window as the drops race each other to the bottom of the glass. Or an excuse to run haphazardly through Berlin, soaking your only pair of shoes and ruining your make-up. An excuse to have a messy time and create some memories filled with abundant laughter. Taking long walks through the grassy hills, feeling so unbelievably content even though I was shivering. The rain is absolutely lovely in Germany (surely not to the Germans though). I miss that very much.

Thunder and lightening and rain. Waking up to it nearly every morning and falling asleep to it nearly every night. 




I am so homesick thinking about all of the wonderful times in Germany. The beauty, the escape from reality, the magic. Sure, not literal magic, but walking through a castle with antique art and creaking wooden floors, you feel as though you are a literal princess. All the games I played as a little girl, with blankets draped around me as capes and petticoats, they flooded back into my heart as it came to life with an actual castle. I kept waiting for a knight to come dashing by, or hear the faint music of the king's ball. Maybe that sounds childish, but we all love a little fantasy.

"Wiener schnitzel mit pommes frites", I would order at nearly every restaurant because it was my favorite meal. I never held back, something I only regretted slightly. I crave the delicious spezi and Italian eis. The savory food that is not found anywhere else makes my mouth water. Food is an important aspect of life and German food is of such satisfying flavor. Especially the chocolate. Oh, I could eat the chocolate for days! I did. I would consume bars of milk chocolate in one day even when I tried to  make it last. Milky and soft, with hazelnuts and caramel laced through them, each bite melting on your tongue and filling your mouth with fantastical chocolatey goodness

Truly irresistible was the chocolate. I want some now. 




A year ago, I was in Germany, so happy, so relieved. I never worried about anything while I was there. Of course, when I got home I had a lot to think about about. It was back to reality. So much has changed in my heart and life since the day I took off. My music taste, my hair, my muscles, my view on life, my maturity, my goals. One thing hasn't changed, and that is that I love the country of Germany.
     My heart aches to be taking off again, not because I don't want to be here, simply because there is so much to see out there. So much of Germany I've yet to see, so much of Europe I've yet to see. Germany changed my heart and opened up this love for travel that I only dreamed of. So many adventures await me, and I am eager to experience them.

Deutschland was the first of many, many wonderful, life changing adventures. Although I imagine blowing my savings and running off to Germany again, I know I must wait. Until then I shall sit here and reminisce over the many hundreds of pictures I have and the many memories in my heart. 










 *all photographs used in this post belong to me, please do not use without permission



  





No comments:

Post a Comment